Wednesday, April 28, 2010
What about your other digital certificates. The reference below shows to other methods to migrate your EFS certificates. These can be modified to help migrate your other digital certs.
Monday, April 26, 2010
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
To access the recovery environment for Windows 7, you have two methods. You can boot from the installation media or create a recovery disk from the installation media. To get to the recovery environment, boot from the Windows 7 media. Click Next to confirm your language and time. At this point you will be presented with the option to Install Windows 7. If you look to the lower left of that window, you have the option to enter the recovery environment.
This environment will allow you to run Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostics, and Command Prompt.
To create a system repair disk that will be bootable, and contain all these tools, log into Windows 7. Click Start --> All Programs --> Maintenance --> Create a System Repair Disk.
Monday, April 19, 2010
• Click Start.
• Right mouse click Computer and select Properties.
• At the bottom of the window, click Change Product Key.
• Enter in a MAK activation key.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
The explicit method of user an answer file is by running the following command from the installation media: Setup.exe /unattend:filename. This will launch windows setup and will take answers from your unattend.xml file that you created with Windows System Image Manager (Windows SIM).
Windows setup also has some implicit ways of recognizing that you have an answer file. Windows setup will automatically look for an answer file in the following locations:
4. Removable read/write media in order of drive letter, at the root of the drive.
5. Removable read-only media in order of drive letter, at the root of the drive.
6. windowsPE and offline Servicing passes:
• \Sources directory in a Windows distribution
All other passes:
Monday, April 12, 2010
Since the clients need to have some contact with a KMS host, the question is how to make this redundant. You can use the same KMS activation code to bring 2 KMS hosts online. One primary, and a backup. Microsoft does not recommend more than this.
Reference: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32994952/activationkms-issues-ca.aspx (See the comments from George Yin).
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
In class, a question was put forth as to whether or not Win 7 XP Mode can use Domain Credentials. The answer is yes. Here is the procedure below.
• Open the settings for the XP VM and delete the cashed credentials.
• Start the XP Virtual Machine
• Right Click on My Computer and select Properties
• On the computer name tab, click the change button
• Join the computer to the domain and reboot it
• Now when it starts logon with DomainName\UserName
Monday, April 5, 2010
In class, the annouance of an autorun box popping up provoked this question. You can selectively disable the autorun feature on your removable drives, fixed drives, Network Drives, CD/DVD, and all others that you can think of. Follow the link below for instructions.