Skip to main content

Organizing your PowerShell Workspace


If you are like me, you have multiple monitors stretched across your desk. Hey, I will admit it, I am a PowerUser.  As both a Microsoft Certified Trainer, Network Administrator, and PowerShell evangelist, I need real estate.  I often develop my PowerShell code with the ISE and multiple Shell windows.  That way I can code in one, test in another, lookup help files, and test small chunks of code.  The problem comes around to which window is used for what?

Years ago, while visiting a software development company that was acquired by the company that I was working for, I observed one of their techniques for keeping track of which script was running what task.  Each script was monitoring a specific project or log on a server.  Each one of these tasks were assigned a foreground and a background color.  With this in mind, you can set specific foreground and background colors schemes for your development. Tack a look at this code.


Function Switch-HostColor
{
<# ========================================================
    Cmdlet: Switch-HostColor
    Author: Jason A Yoder
    Company: MCTExpert, Inc.
    Version: 1.0
    Date: June 10, 2013
   ======================================================== #>
[CmdletBinding()]
Param ([Parameter(Mandatory=$True)]
       [ValidateSet("RedOnBlack", "BlueOnBlack", "GreenOnBlack",
                    "YellowOnBlack","CyanOnBlack","MagentaOnBlack",
                    "BlackOnBlue")]
       $ColorScheme)
 
    Switch ($ColorScheme)
    {
         "BlueOnBlack"
        {
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.ForegroundColor = "Blue"
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.BackgroundColor = "Black"
        }
        "RedOnBlack"
        {
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.ForegroundColor = "Red"
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.BackgroundColor = "Black"
        }
        "GreenOnBlack"
        {
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.ForegroundColor = "Green"
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.BackgroundColor = "Black"
        }
        "YellowOnBlack"
        {
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.ForegroundColor = "Yellow"
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.BackgroundColor = "Black"
        }
        "CyanOnBlack"
        {
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.ForegroundColor = "Cyan"
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.BackgroundColor = "Black"
        }
        "MagentaOnBlack"
        {
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.ForegroundColor = "Magenta"
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.BackgroundColor = "Black"
        }
        "BlackOnBlue"
        {
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.ForegroundColor = "Black"
            $(Get-Host).UI.RawUI.BackgroundColor = "Blue"
        }
    } # End: Switch ($ColorScheme)
   
    # Clear the host to enable
    Clear-Host
<#
.SYNOPSIS
Change the host color scheme.
 
.DESCRIPTION
Changes the host color scheme to help keep tasks performed in
different shells organized.
 
.PARAMETER ColorScheme
Specify a preset color scheme to change the host foreground and
background colors to.
 
.EXAMPLE
Switch-HostColor -ColorScheme BlueOnBlack
 
Clears the screen and displays all text in blue foreground and
black background.
#>
} # End: Function Switch-HostColor



This code has several defined color formats for you to use as examples.  Notice the use of the ValidateSet parameter attribute.  This provides for tab completion of the possible values for the parameter ColorScheme.  You can provide any color scheme that you wish.  One word of caution, make sure to use two sets of colors that will have a high contrast and not hurt your eyes.  One of the color schemes that I observed in use was magenta text on a bright yellow background.  Not a good idea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to run GPResult on a remote client with PowerShell

In the past, to run the GPResult command, you would need to either physically visit this client, have the user do it, or use and RDP connection.  In all cases, this will disrupt the user.  First, you need PowerShell remoting enabled on the target machine.  You can do this via Group Policy . Open PowerShell and type this command. Invoke-Command –ScriptBlock {GPResult /r} –ComputerName <ComputerName> Replace <ComputerName> with the name of the target.  Remember, the target needs to be online and accessible to you.

Set up your Environment to utilize Invoke-GPUpdate

I’m sitting in O’Hare enjoying my 3 hour layover as I get ready to teach a Windows 10 class in Fort Wayne.  I’m actually prepping for my class in Fort Wayne in a few weeks, 10982 Supporting and Troubleshooting Windows 10.  This class is very much like the Windows 7 version that I used to teach so I decided to up the detail quite a bit.  In the GPO troubleshootin chapter, I’m including a demonstration on how to use PowerShell’s Invoke-GPUpdate.  I needed to make sure the environment is set up for me to be able to utilize this cmdlet.  If you read the Notes section on Invoke-GPUpdate’s help file, you will see there are three firwall rules that need to be in place:          Remote Scheduled Tasks Management (RPC)          Remote Scheduled Tasks Management (RPC-ERMAP)          Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI-IN) I decided to create a little PowerShell script to crea...

Where did a User’s Account Get Locked Out?

Updated: May 15, 2015 When this article was originally published, two extra carriage returns were add causing the code to malfunction.  The code below is correct.   My client for this week’s PowerShell class had a really interesting question. They needed to know where an account is being locked out at. OK, interesting. Apparently users hop around clients and forget to log off, leading to eventual lock out of their accounts. The accounts can be unlocked, but are then relocked after Active Directory replication. This problem is solved in two parts. The first one is to modify the event auditing on the network. The second part is resolved with PowerShell. The first part involves creating a group policy that will encompass your Domain Controllers. In this GPO, make these changes. Expand Computer Configuration \ Policies \ Windows Settings \ Security Settings \ Advanced Audit Policy Configuration \ Audit Policies \ Account Management Double click User Account Management C...