Skip to main content

Retrieve a list of all Disabled Computer Accounts

I just helped a user with a big headache.  The user is new to PowerShell and was working way to hard.  First of all, I am impressed that this administrator was dipping into the .NET framework.  Take a look at his code.

$strfilter = "(&(objectClass=user)(objectCategory=person))"

 

$objDomain = New-Object System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry

 

$objSearcher = New-Object System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher

$objSearcher.SearchRoot = $objDomain

$objSearcher.PageSize = 1000

$objSearcher.Filter = $strFilter

$objSearcher.SearchScope = "Subtree"

$objSearcher.PropertiesToLoad.Add("cn") | Out-Null

$objSearcher.PropertiesToLoad.Add("member") | Out-Null

$objSearcher.PropertiesToLoad.Add("proxyAddresses") | Out-Null

$objSearcher.PropertiesToLoad.Add("displayName") | Out-Null

$objSearcher.PropertiesToLoad.Add("distinguishedname") | Out-Null

$objSearcher.PropertiesToLoad.Add("useraccountcontrol") | Out-Null

 

$users = $objSearcher.FindAll()

foreach ($user in $users)

{

"Testing $($user.properties.item(""distinguishedname""))"

"UAC: $($user.useraccountcontrol)"

if($user.useraccountcontrol -band 2) 

{ write-host -foregroundcolor red "`t account is disabled" } 

ELSE 

{ write-host -foregroundcolor green "`t account is not disabled" }

 

}

 

You have to admin, for a beginner, this is impressive.  The problem is that the Active Directory module would have greatly reduced his efforts.  Here is the code that he was looking for.

Get-ADComputer -Filter 'Enabled -eq $False' |


Select-Object -Property Name, Enabled

A little bit more refined and simpler to both use and understand.  This code also keeps the information as an object so the administrator can execute actions against these objects if needed.
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to run GPResult on a remote client with PowerShell

In the past, to run the GPResult command, you would need to either physically visit this client, have the user do it, or use and RDP connection.  In all cases, this will disrupt the user.  First, you need PowerShell remoting enabled on the target machine.  You can do this via Group Policy . Open PowerShell and type this command. Invoke-Command –ScriptBlock {GPResult /r} –ComputerName <ComputerName> Replace <ComputerName> with the name of the target.  Remember, the target needs to be online and accessible to you.

Set up your Environment to utilize Invoke-GPUpdate

I’m sitting in O’Hare enjoying my 3 hour layover as I get ready to teach a Windows 10 class in Fort Wayne.  I’m actually prepping for my class in Fort Wayne in a few weeks, 10982 Supporting and Troubleshooting Windows 10.  This class is very much like the Windows 7 version that I used to teach so I decided to up the detail quite a bit.  In the GPO troubleshootin chapter, I’m including a demonstration on how to use PowerShell’s Invoke-GPUpdate.  I needed to make sure the environment is set up for me to be able to utilize this cmdlet.  If you read the Notes section on Invoke-GPUpdate’s help file, you will see there are three firwall rules that need to be in place:          Remote Scheduled Tasks Management (RPC)          Remote Scheduled Tasks Management (RPC-ERMAP)          Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI-IN) I decided to create a little PowerShell script to crea...

Where did a User’s Account Get Locked Out?

Updated: May 15, 2015 When this article was originally published, two extra carriage returns were add causing the code to malfunction.  The code below is correct.   My client for this week’s PowerShell class had a really interesting question. They needed to know where an account is being locked out at. OK, interesting. Apparently users hop around clients and forget to log off, leading to eventual lock out of their accounts. The accounts can be unlocked, but are then relocked after Active Directory replication. This problem is solved in two parts. The first one is to modify the event auditing on the network. The second part is resolved with PowerShell. The first part involves creating a group policy that will encompass your Domain Controllers. In this GPO, make these changes. Expand Computer Configuration \ Policies \ Windows Settings \ Security Settings \ Advanced Audit Policy Configuration \ Audit Policies \ Account Management Double click User Account Management C...