Doing some work on getting a very basic DSC example ready for my PowerShell class this week. Funny thing is, I did this entire demonstration on a flight last week and was just trying to polish it up. While doing it again, this bug pops out of no where. I found out on PowerShell.org a post by Dave Wyatt with a response by Don Jones to in install KB2883200. Since I was testing in isolated VMs, I just downloaded the MSU from Microsoft and pasted it onto the Source VMs desktop and installed it. Well, that one was already installed. But it was not installed on the target server. After installing it on both servers in this test, still no go. I then installed KB3037315 and then KB2894179. That did the trick!!!
KB3037315 I understand. It contains an update to DSC. KB2894179 however is concerned with the OOBE Wizard in Windows 8.1. No idea why that third update worked, but I wanted to put it out on the net in case someone bumps into this. My test VMs are not completely up to date so had they been, chances are I would not have bumped into this issue.
Thank you Dave and Don for the hints that I needed!