Skip to main content

Use Group Policy Preferences to Disable the Windows 8 Initial Logon Animation

So in my Windows class this week, I was asked if it is possible to disable the initial logon animation on Windows 8. You know, that one where you have to connect to the Windows App Store and then have to move the mouse around. By some strange coincidence, I actually hade the Windows 8.1 GPO Registry spreadsheet up. I did a quick internet search to find the correct registry setting, but did not find it as a GPO setting.

Next up GPO preferences. Normally I would throw PowerShell into the mix, but this is one of those cases where I feel that a GPO is the better choice. You see, with PowerShell, I would have to contact the computer when it is convenient for both of us. In other words, when I am running the script and the client is online. With a GPO Preference, I make this change and the domain tells the client what to do when the client comes online.

The registry setting is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

The key is a DWORD of EnableFirstLogonAnimation. A value of zero (0) will disable it and a value of one (1) will enable it.

To set it up, make sure that your clients are in an OU instead of the default computer container. You can apply this GPO setting at the domain level as well. To start, create a GPO or use one that is already scoped to your needs.

Edit the GPO and navigate to Computer Configuration à Preferences à Windows Settings.

Right click Registry and then select New-Registry Item.

Match the settings below and click OK

image

The icon for this setting may appears as if it is an error or warning icon.

image

The yellow triangle actually means that this is an Update operation. An update will perform a Create operation if the key does not exists. Once this policy is applied, your users will not have to wait so long on their first log in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding a Comment to a GPO with PowerShell

As I'm writing this article, I'm also writing a customization for a PowerShell course I'm teaching next week in Phoenix.  This customization deals with Group Policy and PowerShell.  For those of you who attend my classes may already know this, but I sit their and try to ask the questions to myself that others may ask as I present the material.  I finished up my customization a few hours ago and then I realized that I did not add in how to put a comment on a GPO.  This is a feature that many Group Policy Administrators may not be aware of. This past summer I attended a presentation at TechEd on Group Policy.  One organization in the crowd had over 5,000 Group Policies.  In an environment like that, the comment section can be priceless.  I always like to write in the comment section why I created the policy so I know its purpose next week after I've completed 50 other tasks and can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago. In the Group Policy module for PowerShell V3, th

Return duplicate values from a collection with PowerShell

If you have a collection of objects and you want to remove any duplicate items, it is fairly simple. # Create a collection with duplicate values $Set1 = 1 , 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 1 , 2   # Remove the duplicate values. $Set1 | Select-Object -Unique 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 What if you want only the duplicate values and nothing else? # Create a collection with duplicate values $Set1 = 1 , 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 1 , 2   #Create a second collection with duplicate values removed. $Set2 = $Set1 | Select-Object -Unique   # Return only the duplicate values. ( Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $Set2 -DifferenceObject $Set1 ) . InputObject | Select-Object – Unique 1 2 This works with objects as well as numbers.  The first command creates a collection with 2 duplicates of both 1 and 2.   The second command creates another collection with the duplicates filtered out.  The Compare-Object cmdlet will first find items that are diffe

How to list all the AD LDS instances on a server

AD LDS allows you to provide directory services to applications that are free of the confines of Active Directory.  To list all the AD LDS instances on a server, follow this procedure: Log into the server in question Open a command prompt. Type dsdbutil and press Enter Type List Instances and press Enter . You will receive a list of the instance name, both the LDAP and SSL port numbers, the location of the database, and its status.