Skip to main content

No subscription found in the context.


FRUSTRATION!!!
Don’t you just love it when you change nothing and then something breaks?  Working with VSCode and Azure, I do a lot of Infrastructure as Code.  I love the idea of being able to write code that builds exactly what I want, every time.  The problem is that on occasion, things change outside the scope of my code and now I am trying to solve a mystery.  The latest one involves whenever I run a simple Azure command.  For exam, Get-AZVM. This should not be hard.  Well, here is the result in VSCode.

No subscription found in the context. Please ensure that the credentials you provided are authorized to access an Azure subscription, then run Connect-AzAccount to login

So, I execute :


Connect-AzAccount

When you do this, it brings us to a website to go to and a code to enter.


PS C:\Connect-AzAccount


WARNING: To sign in, use a web browser to open the page https://microsoft.com/devicelogin and enter the code FNTC88YR4 to authenticate. 

Once you enter the code into the website, you are asked to provide your credentials to access the Azure subscription that you want to program for.  Here is the response.


Account                 SubscriptionName TenantId                             Environment
-------                 ---------------- --------                             -----------
XXXXXXXX@ZZZZ.com                        VVVVVVVV-WWWW-XXXX-YYYY-ZZZZZZZZZZZZ AzureCloud 

All seams well until you run an Azure command and you get the same error.  Very frustrating.

When I run Get-AZSubscription, this is what I get.


PS C:\Get-AzSubscription

WARNING: Unable to acquire token for tenant 'AAAAAAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD-EEEEEEEEEEEE'
WARNING: Unable to acquire token for tenant 'FFFFFFFF-GGGG-HHHH-IIII-JJJJJJJJJJJJ'

Now, I have used several different subscriptions before.  Since I do teach Azure classes I use a temporary Azure account for the class can not my corporate account.  None of the TenantId numbers match my corporate account.

Using Set-AZContext did not yield any good results.

When using Set-AZSubscription with the correct subscription ID, I get this:


Set-AzContext: Please provide a valid tenant or a valid subscription.

Did I mention that Set-AZContext did not work?

Fortunately, I stumbled across this simple command.


PS C:\Clear-AzContext

Confirm
Remove all accounts and subscriptions in all sessions for the current user?
[Y] Yes [N] No [S] Suspend [?] Help (default is "Yes"): y
PS C:\Connect-AzAccount

WARNING: To sign in, use a web browser to open the page https://microsoft.com/devicelogin and enter the code FZG9NDZD5 to authenticate.

Account                 SubscriptionName TenantId                             Environment
-------                 ---------------- --------                             -----------
JASON_YODER@hotmail.com MSDN Platforms   5fd82206-550e-4185-bbc6-7346fa9a0a47 AzureCloud  

Yep, that is all that it took.  I still have no idea why it would not accept my credentials after it accepts my credentials, but at least I have a quick fix and now, so do you.

As for accessing azure:


PS C:\get-azvm


ResourceGroupName       Name      Location          VmSize  OsType                NIC Provisio
                                                                                      ningStat
                                                                                             e 
-----------------       ----      --------          ------  ------                --- -------- 
NAVY1               DC-navy1 canadacentral   Standard_B2ms Windows   DCInterfacenavy1 cceeded 
NAVY1             SVR1-navy1 canadacentral Standard_DS1_v2 Windows SVR1Interfacenavy1 cceeded 

It works!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding a Comment to a GPO with PowerShell

As I'm writing this article, I'm also writing a customization for a PowerShell course I'm teaching next week in Phoenix.  This customization deals with Group Policy and PowerShell.  For those of you who attend my classes may already know this, but I sit their and try to ask the questions to myself that others may ask as I present the material.  I finished up my customization a few hours ago and then I realized that I did not add in how to put a comment on a GPO.  This is a feature that many Group Policy Administrators may not be aware of. This past summer I attended a presentation at TechEd on Group Policy.  One organization in the crowd had over 5,000 Group Policies.  In an environment like that, the comment section can be priceless.  I always like to write in the comment section why I created the policy so I know its purpose next week after I've completed 50 other tasks and can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago. In the Group Policy module for PowerShell V3, th

Return duplicate values from a collection with PowerShell

If you have a collection of objects and you want to remove any duplicate items, it is fairly simple. # Create a collection with duplicate values $Set1 = 1 , 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 1 , 2   # Remove the duplicate values. $Set1 | Select-Object -Unique 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 What if you want only the duplicate values and nothing else? # Create a collection with duplicate values $Set1 = 1 , 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 1 , 2   #Create a second collection with duplicate values removed. $Set2 = $Set1 | Select-Object -Unique   # Return only the duplicate values. ( Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $Set2 -DifferenceObject $Set1 ) . InputObject | Select-Object – Unique 1 2 This works with objects as well as numbers.  The first command creates a collection with 2 duplicates of both 1 and 2.   The second command creates another collection with the duplicates filtered out.  The Compare-Object cmdlet will first find items that are diffe

How to list all the AD LDS instances on a server

AD LDS allows you to provide directory services to applications that are free of the confines of Active Directory.  To list all the AD LDS instances on a server, follow this procedure: Log into the server in question Open a command prompt. Type dsdbutil and press Enter Type List Instances and press Enter . You will receive a list of the instance name, both the LDAP and SSL port numbers, the location of the database, and its status.