Advanced Windows PowerShell Scripting Video Training

Advanced Windows PowerShell Scripting Video Training
Advanced Windows PowerShell Scripting Video Training

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Renaming User Accounts in Active Directory with VBScript

This one proved to be a little more difficult then I first thought. We were able to get a few attributes to change, but in further testing; I found that AD was throwing a fit. The problem was resolved using the ADSI Editor Snap-in. What I did was watch each value and whether or not the correct value was reflected in the User accounts properties. The following code relies on a text file containing the old and new user names formatted as such:

OldUserName1,NewUserName1
OldUserName2,NewUserName2
OldUserName3,NewUserName3

You can modify the code to import the usernames anyway that works for you. Also, do not forget to change the variables ParentDN and strUPNSuffix to match your environments.

' ================================
' RenameUSerAccounts.vbs
' Author: Jason A. Yoder, MCT
' Date: May 15, 2009
'
' Required Files:
' - A Text file named "names.txt". In this script, the file
' location is hard coded.
' The format for the text file is %OldUserName%,%NewUserName%
'
' Other Information:
' - The interesting part of this code is in the Do While...Loop.
' It does not matter how you get the data into the script
' as long as you have the ParentDN and both old and new usernames.
' ================================

Const ForReading = 1
ParentDN = "OU=HR,DC=FourthCoffe,DC=com" ' Change this line to reflect your environment.
strUPNSuffix = "ens.com" ' Change this line to reflect your environment.

' Read in the data file of old and new user names.
Set objFilesys = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objFileText = objFileSys.OpenTextFile("C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Test\Names.txt", ForReading, true)


Do Until objFileText.AtEndOfStream '
strText = objFileText.Readline ' Reads the Names.txt file one line at a time.
aryText = Split(strText,",") ' Slipts each value into different cells of aryText.

strUserOldName = aryText(0)
strUserNewName = aryText(1)



set objCont = GetObject("LDAP://" & ParentDN)
objCont.MoveHere "LDAP://cn=" & strUserOldName & "," & ParentDN, "cn=" & strUserNewName
set objUser = GetObject("LDAP://cn=" & strUserNewName & "," & ParentDN)


objUser.Put "sAMAccountName",strUserNewName
objUser.Put "userPrincipalName",strUserNewName & "@" & strUPNSuffix
objUser.Put "GivenName",strUserNewName
objUser.Put "DisplayName",strUserNewName

objUser.SetInfo
Loop

WScript.Echo "Done"

No comments: