Advanced Windows PowerShell Scripting Video Training

Advanced Windows PowerShell Scripting Video Training
Advanced Windows PowerShell Scripting Video Training

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Change the description on a multi-boot server.

For those of use who need to have a server that can boot into multiple Operating systems, we may have an issue on the boot menu where we have different bootable operating systems with the same name.  Take a look below.
 

I got to this by clicking Start and then right clicking Computer and selecting Properties.

In the upper left, I clicked Advanced System Properties.

On the System Properties window, I clicked the Advanced tab.

In the Startup and Recovery box, I clicked Settings…


image

You can see in the Default Operating System dropdown, I have two Windows Server 2008 R2 configurations listed, Which one do I want to use?  Here is how to fix that.

Open an command prompt with Administrative level permissions.

Type bcdedit /enum and press Enter

We are interested in the Description and the Identifier.  Since the OS that I want to change the description is the current default boot, I simply need to look for an ID of {current}.

image

Now type bcdedit /set {current} description “What ever you want and press Enter

Once you are done, simply type bcdedit /enum and you will see your change.  This will be reflected in the Advance System Properties and more importantly, in the boot menu.

No comments: