Advanced Windows PowerShell Scripting Video Training

Advanced Windows PowerShell Scripting Video Training
Advanced Windows PowerShell Scripting Video Training

Monday, October 10, 2011

Is Windows 7 compression and WinZip compatible?

To test this one out, I downloaded a copy of WinZip 15.5 and put it in a virtual machine.

 

First off, I created a few files and placed some data in them.

image

I then selected all three and sent them to a compressed file.

image

 

The resulting compressed file had a 70% compression on it.  Not bad.

image

I then installed WINZIP 15.5.

I selected Legacy Compression during the WinZip installation.  This matched the file extension used by Windows.

image

Using a Drag-Drop operation, I moved the Windows Compressed file into WinZip and it opened.

image

 

I then deleted the compressed file and used WinZip to compress the three files.  WinZip got me a 73% compression.  I then uninstalled WinZip to make sure it had no hand in Windows opening the file that I created with WinZip.  Windows was able to open the WinZip file.

No comments: